Responsibility for providing Commercial leadership within QinetiQ Canada Inc, (QCI), support and focus for a diverse range of projects and tasks, from initial opportunity identification, on-going contract and subcontract support through to contract completion and close out.
Reporting to the President of QCI and with functional support from the global QinetiQ commercial function, you will be a key member of the QCI leadership team.
Supported by Customer Account and commercial specialists in Canada and the UK, as the primary point of Contract/Subcontract contact to a number of business stakeholders you will be responsible as a subject matter expert for providing all aspects of Commercial support including establishing teaming agreements customer bidding and contracting, contract/subcontract drafting, contract risk management and change control, as well as dispute resolution.
Within your role you will be required to generate innovative and effective Commercial solutions to support the business winning and contract/subcontract delivery process. You will manage contract/subcontracts and projects with minimal supervision, have experience of the law, contract structuring and drafting, leading negotiations and managing complex contracts with intelligent and sometimes challenging Customers.
You will be expected to provide coaching to other members of the wider business.
From time to time you may have supervisory responsibilities, or be required to hold delegation for more senior roles. This role may involve occasional travel.
Key Accountabilities, Outputs and Deliverables
This role will typically be accountable for delivery of the following output types:
• Create and maintain a commercial strategy for Strategic bids or significant opportunity (ies)
• Responsible for ensuring governance processes relating to commercial matters are established and adhered to.
• Manage commercial relationships with strategic partners, customers and subcontractors.
• Development of a stakeholder management plan to manage key customer relationships
• Development and implementation of commercial ways of working across the business unit.
• Contribute to Value Proposition Creation and Delivery
• Accountable person for providing Legal/Commercial assurance of all bidding activity within QCI
• Draft, negotiate, agree and manage a variety of legal/commercial agreements including NDAs, MoUs and Teaming Agreements.
• Develop and lead implementation of negotiation plans for significant opportunities
• Negotiate complex contracts and resolve disputes with customers and internal stakeholders to reach decisions beneficial to QinetiQ or aligned with business strategy.
• Ensure where required or applicable the flow down of contractual obligations to enable procurement teams to support opportunities and execution.
• Management of commercial obligations throughout the contract lifecycle.
• Supporting the business unit with the Corporate Governance process.
• Provide guidance and advice on Canadian procurement requirements through active participation in Commercial function activity and Single Route to Market initiatives.
• Creating and briefing of contract summaries to project stakeholders
• Create and brief commercial Management Information in relation to key contract performance – obligation summaries
• Assessment of contract risk, alternative courses of action and recommended outcomes, both before and after the bidding phase of a project.
As a Legal/Commercial Manager you will you will demonstrate the level of technical competency expected from a developing leader to:
• At least 5 years in a complex defence contracting environment with the Government of Canada as a key customer.
• Demonstrated track record in bidding, executing and resolving contract issues within a defence procurement framework.
• Familiar with Canadian defence procurement policies and regulations, including the Supply Acquisition Clauses and Conditions (SACC) manual.
• Law degree, business degree with contract law or legal diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Proactively develop, implement and maintain networks with key internal and external stakeholders to influence and manage sustained and profitable customer and strategic subcontractor relationships in order to achieve business objectives and gain commercial advantage.
• Demonstrate advanced outcome driven negotiating techniques and lead the development and implementation of negotiation strategies to close deals for significant business opportunities.
• Lead the commercial strategy for significant opportunities, develop effective solutions or ways of working and support the business value proposition to influence customer procurement decisions.
• Regularly apply advanced contract drafting skills to create innovative agreements for significant and complex opportunities. Demonstrate a detailed understanding of contract regulations, procurement law and process, customer policies, practices and regulatory requirements.
• Identify and articulate areas of business risk within terms to advise recommended approaches to the wider business team, considering the risk vs reward balance of different, complex contractual models depending on the business scenario.
• Demonstrate an advanced understanding of business finance and financial drivers. Effectively use a range of data sources to assess commercial benefit and risk and to inform the bidding process.
• Influence pricing strategy by developing and recommending innovative pricing models to differentiate the QinetiQ value proposition.
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.